He was one of the top-ranked triathletes in the world and holds the Guinness World Record for the fastest hole of golf ever played over 500 years. So what drives Brad Kearns to always push himself to be better? In episode 100 of the Final Surge Podcast, we talk to author, podcaster, coach and world record holder Brad Kearns about everything from his early Ironman days competing against Mark Allen and Dave Scott as well as why we may not be improving as much as we should be since then. He spends a lot of time talking about stress and recovery. Make sure you subscribe to the podcast at FinalSurge.com/podcast and follow us on our new Instagram account at final.surge.
Listen to the podcast on iTunes or listen to it on Stitcher or Google Play if you have an Android device.
Stream it right here:
- Ran in high school and college
- Injured so much in college got discouraged
- Awakening to a better way
- Turned to triathlon
- Was a new sport without coaches
- Figured it out by feel
- End of the first season was able to compete with world best
- Started winning and getting sponsors and forced him to change training
- Struggled, overtrained and forced things to happen
What happens when someone is going for that BQ qualifier they have been training for months and before the race, things are not going well because they may be overtrained, should they still race and give it a shot?
- What is your purpose?
- Know why you are doing it, should you go to a starting line with 101-degree temp?
- If not fully prepared go there and hand out water instead of competing when you shouldn’t be
What about getting to the start line healthy?
- Rest and recovery
- Work and training are both stresses
- Cut workout short if not feeling it
You have athletes that are super busy, what do you teach them about getting ready when busy?
- Aerobic training or MAF 180-age beats per minute
- Teaches you to burn fat not glucose
Many say, but if MAF was the best style professionals would be doing it
- Look at training logs and they are
What else can you do to become a better fat burner
- Noakes has changed course on recommendations
- FASTER Study
- Elite athletes can get away with more
- Some carry excess body fat
Why haven’t we improved much since Mark Allen?
- They were amazing athletes and it is hard to improve on that
- MEAN finishing time can improve if we improve training with more aerobic
- If carrying excess body fat as an athlete need to work on that
- Slow down on runs and cut out refined grains and sugars
- Fringe sport strokes + minutes 78 plus 47 minutes = 128 score
- World record the fastest hole over 500 yards (video)
- Played the whole hole with 3-wood
Final Surge 5 questions in under a minute
Favorite endurance/running book? – 4-minute mile Roger Bannister
Current trainers you are wearing? – Vibram 5-fingers
Favorite race? – World Cup Triathlon stop in Mexico
Favorite recovery meal or recovery drink? – Salad
Your favorite workout – Track 4×100 all out
Get Over Yourself Podcast
Courses including 21-day reset
Golf Speed Record
Brad Kearns Twitter
Brad Kearns Instagram