Today we have our first husband and wife team on the podcast together. In Episode 101 we talk to Caitlin and Drew Sapp who own a company called Crew Racing. Drew is a full-time triathlon coach and Caitlin a physical therapist and they have found a niche working with athletes coming back from injuries. They have also recently launched a new Crew Racing Podcast which we discuss.
How did you get involved in athletics and meet?
- Met at a triathlon
- Caitlin needed a swim coach and Drew won that that
- Drew was a triathlete in college after being a swimmer
- Caitlin grew up playing basketball and in college started running
- 2009 did first triathlon, first Ironman in 2011
Background on Crew Racing
- 2014 a lot of people were asking both for help
- Drew full-time coach, Caitlin full-time physical therapist, and works in business
Niche in people with injuries
- Drew had ACL reconstruction that failed
- Several people started coming to them with injuries
- Trying to give back to athletes
- Something missing in endurance rehab because Caitlin would always see them come back with the same injuries
Key for rehab so they are not back to see you
- Making short and long-term goals on how not to get back
- Focus on long-term results
Are most of your clients local or internet?
- Many local and some online
- Can connect with remote athletes using Final Surge
What about an athlete who comes to you and is not injured, but is coming to you because they don’t want to get injured:
- Back off on over-training
- Strength training and plyometrics
- Core work for stabilizer
- ACL in college playing football
- Again while training in 2016
- Had a good team trusted
- Never wanted to go through surgery again so listened to them
- While rehabbing view himself as a physical therapy patient, not a triathlete
- Conditioning will come back, take the time to rehab
Caitlin and Drew Sapp own operate Crew Racing, which is a multisport coaching group that started in 2014. Caitlin is a physical therapist that specializes in sports orthopedics and I am full-time triathlon coach.
How does someone who needs a good Physical Therapist find one?
- Key is finding someone who understands athletes
- Reach out to local coaches they will know
- Ask their background in sport
Biggest challenge Drew faced in rehab?
- Happened right before the wedding
- Slow progression started coming back 1-minute slow jog 5-minute walk
Are athletes quick to address problems or do they put it off?
- Both, both sides of extremes
- With experience, you learn and shouldn’t put off too long
I noticed on your site you also do runners self-defense classes
- There were issues in our area
What type of athletes you work with the most?
- Busy professionals
Been using Final Surge since 2014 in what ways are you using it?
- Calendar is great
- Comments more important than anything else
- New app